• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fiberglass Fairings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Folks,
There are a number of places on the Cruzer that will benefit from a fairing, and I'm thinking fiberglass is the easiest, quickest, and least expensive way to go. I plan on making a fairing for the lower edge of the windshield that will double as an attachment instead of the rubber that Zenith provides. On the club plane we had to use small bolts to hold the windshield to the sides of the plane drilled through the acrylic - I'd rather keep it in place with the fiberglass fairing. Another spot is where the vertical fin meets the horizontal stabilizer. Truth be told there are loads of places, but these are the biggies.

I'm hoping I can make these look nice once painted but could use a few pointers, such as:

1) Which fiberglass should I use? I know there are many different types, thicknesses and ways to align them
2) Which epoxy is best?
3) I'm assuming I can put duct tape on the surfaces, glass over, then pull the whole thing off - is that too much of a hill billy approach?

Thanks for any tips!

Back