• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Comm antenna and location for metal plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
My Hummelbird build has been moving along (I'll update the build log at the end of the month, and I've been looking at antennas. I'm looking for a good, cheap antenna. I swear I found one for under $50, but now can't find the site it was on. Aircraft Spruce has the Ravi RV-534 for $108 (with the install kit), but I'm wondering if there is a good, cheaper antenna people are using that I'm missing. It's an all metal airplane, so the RST antennas are out. I'm not opposed to making one, but I'd rather not put the effort in if it can be purchased cheaply.

I've got a couple of options in mounting it, I can go on top of the vertical stabilizer or on the turtledeck right behind the canopy. I'm leaning towards the turtledeck. Any advantages/disadvantages to either? I'm planning on using a Becker AR4201 or Flightline FL-760 type radio (Europe is changing to the 8.33kHz channel spacing, the used units have been dropping in price on eBay.)

Back