• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MOGAS Transportation, Handling, and Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Hi All,

My home airport does not have fuel so I need to convert my airplane to MOGAS and I need to find a safe way to transport, handle, and store MOGAS so I wanted to reach out to the brain trust for advice.

I have a large car transport trailer so I can certainly get one of these refueling tanks and strap it down in the trailer:

https://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/refueling-tanks

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a unit specifically designed for gasoline/ aviation use because practically all of the commercially available units are geared up for diesel fuel for agriculture use however with gasoline there are more concerns such as:

-There should certainly be some kind of filter/ gascolator installed

-Grounding strap (tank to trailer to airplane)

-Is the electric fuel pump used on the unit a concern?

Airplane wise here are my questions:

-My Bendix was rebuilt by Airflow Performance so all the seals, gaskets, diaphragms are impervious to ethanol. My fuel lines are PTFE so they are OK.

-The engine is a turbocharged IO-540 with 7.3:1 compression pistons so I will need to manually limit the MAP to 42 inches of mercury because that equals an Effective Compression Ratio of 11.2:1 Effective Compression Ratio (I will post separately about that)

Anything else you would recommend?

THANKS!!!

Back