• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Alternative to nails or staples

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

I will be building an ULF-1 in the near future and had a question about open truss wood rib fabrication in general.

I have watched several EAA videos and gone to look at some real examples to better understand the process and requirements, eg jig construction, bending of members, gusset design, adhesive squeeze-out.

I see some use nails to hold the gussets for cure, some use staples because it’s easier to remove, but has anyone ever used a vacuum bag? I was thinking a 1/4” ply caul in the shape of the rib with release film on it could be used to keep the force uniform. Would this perhaps squeeze too much glue out?

Back