• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

P-51 Replica. It's a Slow Day, so Let's Design One.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hi Replica Lovers;

I'm interested in going through the exercise of designing a Mustang replica, despite its having been done before. It would be the D variant. So far, I like the look of the Stewart and the Thunder Mustang. Both of those are off the market, and massively expensive if they were on the market. I'd prefer the Stewart, because I would like to build in metal, not carbon fiber, if I were a rich man.

Then there is the Titan-51 Mustang. There's a lot of good things about this aircraft, too numerous to mention, but a few items I'd prefer to slightly improve on, if this project ever happens. Most of the items are cosmetic, so with a little work, should be do-able. Such as the shape of the chin, the canopy and the tail.

I would like to approach the design like this:

1. Steel tube fuselage with added bulkhead formers for contour shaping.
2. Metal skin all around, like the Titan. No major carbon fiber work, except possibly wingtips and tail tips.
3. As scale as possible to the P-51, probably around 75% size. Most of the visible seams in the sheet metal would be present to give the illusion of it being a real P-51.
4. Blind pop rivets for most of the skin work, probably Avex rivets, either countersunk or dimpled like the Zenith aircraft method. This is to make it possible for one man to build the airframe, not two guys always needed to bang rivets. In some cases, solid rivets may be needed, especially on the wings if it's a stressed skin design.
5. Titan-like performance, gross weights and load limits. I'm no ace pilot, so let's say similar flight numbers as the titan, which is mid forties stall (mph) and 150+ cruise. No hot rod like the Stewart or Thunder Mustang. Decent cruise, gentle touch downs.
6. Two-seater is an absolute must.
7. Built from plans (as they emerge), not a kit. The Titan kit is $55,000. Ouch (Yes, I know this is cheap for some people).
8. Built from simple, readily available materials. The landing gear will be a challenge!

There would be more to it than this, obviously, and I invite assistance from all of you. Please respect the general concept of not using composites or wood for the major components. I'm sure these are fine materials, and have tons of fans, but metal is my preferred way to go.

So why not just buy a Titan kit? First, big outlay in initial cost, and I DO enjoy this type of developmental work, even if I am green at it. And as you'll see, I AM green at it.

Thanks, and I'll follow with some early design concepts and pics. I hope more people enjoy this than just myself. Remember, there are no stupid questions, except the ones I might ask.

Have fun. Tom Kay.

Back