• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Arduino GPS EasyNAV First Look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilotgil

Hi All,

I started on the EasyNAV Arduino GPS 2 1/4 instrument (same footprint as my others). The picture is a bit crummy, but you'll get an idea from it. This is a standard (but custom PCB to fit the form factor), Arduino. The GPS is a 66 channel unit, Standard 2 1/4 instrument just over 1 inch deep. This is my first pass at the user interface. The Right Side is the scrolling database; because of the significant memory limitations of the Arduino (and the memory hog that "Sketches" are), the current database is very limited. I do have a plan to add an SD card at some point. The left side is some basic GPS data fields such as Track, Speed, etc. The picture is taken with the unit on my desk, so the time is limited to 99.9 hours (it's infinity in this case, but I do not have a software trap for this). Because of the memory limitations of Arduino, I will leave out some "normal" traps such as displaying "---" instead of "99.9" when the speed is zero - every byte counts. On the bottom is a CDI; your plane is in the center, and there are fly right and left indications. Right now, this is an angular indicator, but I will change to a lateral distance offset depending on memory.

I did two test "drives," and it works well. After I polish up the data fields (displaying "tenths" as needed, etc.). I need to obviously polish this up with some pretty graphics which I will do after some test flights.

IMG_6639.jpg

Back