• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why was the Cub a ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

The Piper Cub is (in the USA) one of THE iconic aircraft. It's main rival in iconism is the Cessna 150, but you can trace the 150's evolution from the 140, and arguably from the Cub, as well. My first flight during which I took control of the aircraft, was in a Piper Tomahawk and I will never forget it; it was like swimming and driving a speedboat all at the same time, the visibility was fantastic, and from what I remember the handling was very comparable to the 150/152. The question is, first rhetorically, "Why was the Cub a high wing aircraft?", and more specifically, "Can the next iconic ab initio aircraft be a low wing?"

Back