• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Advice on Engineering Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Direct C51

There are a lot of engineers around here, and I'm hoping to call on the community to give a bit of advice.

Now that I am done building my Sonex, I have time to make use of my GI Bill. I work as an EMS helicopter pilot, so my schedule allows for a lot of free time to get a degree online, but I would be unable to physically attend college. I don't really need a degree for the job I have, but any degree, regardless of what field, seems to stand out on resumes to just about every employer. Another reason I want to earn a degree is in the unfortunate case that I cannot maintain my flight physical, I would like a a degree to fall back on.

I can get the obligatory Professional Aeronautics degree, which would be easy, and I could use my ratings and military schools to transfer as about half of the required credits. This would feel like putting all of my eggs in one basket.

If I'm going to get a degree I may never use, I would like to spend the time doing something I enjoy. I know it would be hard work, but I think I would really enjoy the engineering classes, and it would be nice to understand what some of you guys are talking about sometimes. My hopes would be to use my GI Bill for a Bachelors in Engineering, then continue on to get a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering. Embry Riddle offers both degrees online.

From those with experience in the field, would those degrees help in possibly designing my own airplane? I would love to design and build an F1 plane, or possibly a fast glass XC machine.

A concern of mine is that if I ever do lose my medical it could be 10, 15, 20 years from now, and with no experience in the field, I may not be a very desirable employee. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back