• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Student Pilot looking at a Pelican PL wanting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Hello all,
I am new student pilot looking at getting my own aircraft. I've spent the past year grilling myself with the costs of ownership and while I would love a 4 place with 1400 lbs of useful load, amphibious floats and a turbo for high altitude, that burns just 4 gallons an hour I know better than to imagine the impossible.

My requirements are not simple but not extravagant.

-im big so useful load is needed
-fly out of an international airport so a Mode C is required
-electric start as I will be flying solo and thus wont be hand propping.
-reasonable range as airfields are not all that numerous here (ever 150 miles) and I don't want to be hopping from one to another refueling every time I go somewhere
-speed isn't a major factor but 100kts would be nice
-no aerobatics required, ive done all my spin training in a rental
-tri-gear as I learn (don't want to bite off to much)

A Pelican PL has come up for sale in my general vicinity and it seems to fit the bill and I want to know what this crowd thinks of this little homebuilt? its got a lot of hours so ill be getting it inspected, but seems like most of what I need.

1710 total hours
Weight net 840lbs
gross 1400lbs
Engine 912S engine time 1230hr.
Propeller Warp Drive in flight adjustable
Garmin 296 GPS
Radio ICOM IC-A200
Transponder Garmin GTX 320
Dynon Avionics EFIS-D10A

Back