• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Required Antennas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

I'm trying to decide what antennas to put in my bird. Right now now I'm only planning on a single comm antenna, a gps, whatever xpdr/adsb is necessary (i live under class b) and the antenna for the ELT. im trying to decide if a nav antenna is worth it? I have the RST antenna kit and info and although structurally my bird should be pretty transparent to radio waves, the control system (mostly metal push rods) will interfere with the antennas ( at least from my reading of the RST manual) and my plane is small enough that getting the ends of individual antennas at least 2 feet from other metal bits of significant size is somewhat problematic. So in the interest of simplicity, lightness, and lack of space have i covered my bases? Is a vor/nav antenna something that one day i might really wish i had? I only have about 205 hrs in my logbook so i don't have much experience that way. Other than flight training I've only really used gps for navigation and in 10 years when this plane gets off the ground will they be phasing out vor?

Last question, apparently the RST manual was written before the new ELT and adsb stuff came on the scene, anyone know the geometry for those?

Back