• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

running cylinders off rear location of full case?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob40

I know the 1/2 option can be with a full case or cut, but if I ran a full case, and ran the cylinders off the rear portion instead of the traditional front half, I would conceivably have two bearings working in my favor forward of the pistons at work and before the prop flange.

The application would be within a fully enclosed cowling that would see aero benefits due to the rearward cylinder location as well as the much narrower forward portion of the engine yielding an effective prop extension without a real prop extension.

Yes, I know of the rear exhaust argument but with proper ducting (not baffling but actual sculpted ducting) the cooling of the exhaust area of the head can be properly managed. So assuming the cooling solved, are there any reasons why one can't run cylinders off the back half of the case instead of the front?

And now much extra weight does a full case option really cost after engine mount?

Back