• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hovey Delta Hawk Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Hello All;

I would like to build a Hovey Delta Hawk biplane so not only am I looking for a set of plans but I also have a question regarding the structure that one of you knowledgeable stuctural engineer types might answer...or at least point me in the right direction of finding an answer.

I have seen and read several threads now regarding the use of "alternate materials" I.E rectangular tubing and gussets ala' the Aerotique Parasol or the extruded aluminum angle of the Beeson Chuckbird/Texas Parasol design.

Would either of these materials be feasible for use in the Delta Hawk fuselage structure vice round tubing? 6061 T6 extruded tubing is virtually unobtainable where I am but the rectangular and angle is plentiful and very reasonable cost-wise.

If using the rectangular or angle material, how would I determine an equivalent strength factor vis a vis the round tubing called for in the plans?

I am leaning somewhat to the angle at the moment due to the ability to use solid rivets vice pop rivets for strength but I do still have a large supply of aircraft grade pop rivets if it turns out that I need to use them on either the angle or the rectangular tubing.

I like the Delta Hawk design because of the easy entry/exit and because well, I just like open cockpits and biplanes. At 6'3 and at my age though, I no longer have the contortionistic ability to bend, fold and wriggle under a wing and between cabanes to get into the cockpit of a parasol.

Any ideas or advice? Leads on plans? Bob Hovey passed away several years ago and apparently the family no longer offers the plans.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:
Back