• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to the airplane world!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studentofbudo

Hey all,
A friend had spurred my interest in the hobby world of building experimentals and now, i wanna get into it!!

I have been building drag racing division winning Type 1 VWs (bugs) for almost 18yrs, and really wanna try my hand at building something other than cars....but, still be able to apply some of that knowledge.

I am a swiss-style lathe machinist/programmer by trade, so, i got the technical and critical thinking, just dont have the experience yet!! :)

I have been thinking for the sonex or waiex kit, simply for the compact storage aspect. That really appeals to me, whatchya all think?? Not to mention, with some tweaking, vw engines are second nature to me. Highest hp one to date has been 235hp @ the tire N/A motor (dyno tuned)
And 748hp with 38lbs of boost (dyno as well). I do understand airplane engines are different because of altitude changes so much, but, an air pump is an air pump!! Lol

Anways,
Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys and, hopefully, you all wont get to upset at me for asking newbie questions! Haha. :)

Back