• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Taylor Monoplane vs KR-1 / KR-2S (time and cost)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundLog

Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster...

After a lot of research I've reached a point where I need some advice from you knowledgeable people. I'm investigating a first build to fit the following requirements:

- affordable
- primarily wooden
- single seat
- low wing
- fixed gear
- tail dragger
- clean lines (no wires or struts)
- able to be built in a single car garage sized space
- trailerable <---edit for clarity: I meant wings removable for construction or long term storage. Quick rigging folding/removable wings would be a great bonus though.
- VW powered (or other 60hp-ish auto conversion)

My thinking at the moment is that a Taylor Monoplane would be really nice since I love the vintage look. I can't help thinking however that KR-1 (or probably a narrowed KR-2S) might be a better option due to:

- overall better performance, mainly higher cruise
- potential to upgrade later to (and proven history with) engines beyond 60hp
- a big online builder community

So my question is: What would be the time and cost difference between building a Taylor Monoplane and an identically configured KR? (same engine, canopy, instruments, controls, gear, brakes etc)

I've tried to work it out but comparing prices over the last 50 years in different currencies is a challenge.

Obviously the KR is derived from the Taylor but is timber/foam/glass instead of timber/fabric. My gut feeling is that fabric looks significantly easier and quicker since there's no shaping to do.

Many thanks in advance, sky wizards.

Last edited:
Back