• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plank Progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike W

Following on from my various submissions in the thread. “Characteristics of a straight-wing, tailless model in the Langley free flight tunnel”, which detailed my efforts to design and construction a single seat plank aircraft. Now that the aircraft is nearing completion, I thought a more dedicated thread would be more appropriate.

The aircraft is now structurally complete and only requires covering and so the moment of truth is fast approaching.

The MW10 was designed to the original CAA specification for a single seat de-regulated aircraft (SSDR) which called for an empty weight of 115Kg (253LB) and a wing loading of less than 10Kg/SQ M. The uncovered aircraft weighs in at 257 LB using bathroom scales. The bad news is that some 20Lb of lead will be required in the nose to maintain the correct CG location, however if the aircraft looks promising some of this will be replaced by a starter battery. Initially jump leads will be used to start the engine. Luckily the old definition has been scrapped and replaced by an AUW of 660 Lb and a max stall speed of 35 Kts.

Hopefully flight attempts will commence early in the New Year.

p4 (1).jpgp7 (1).jpg

Back