• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sandlin Goat or Similar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Direct C51

I have been seriously considering a cheap, easy to build, self launching, ultralight glider for awhile now. Every time I search for what I want to build, I always tend to come back to the Sandlin Goat. My requirements are as follows.

- Part 103 legal.

- 3 axis stick and rudder control.

- Easily transported, trucktop is certainly preferred, but a small cheap trailer would be ok.

- Easy construction techniques. My Sonex will remain my main project in my garage at home, this will be a secondary project I build in my free time at work. I will have my hangar to work in, but only simple tools, no welding and preferably no jigs. I could fabricate the more intricate parts in my workshop at home, but the bulk of assembly should be easily completed with just a few small, transportable tools.

- I would prefer not to build with wood. It's simply not my medium of choice.

- I am hoping to self launch on hillside slopes. I really want to get in to gliding and soaring, but the tow rates and glider rental at the local soaring club are higher than a powered rental. It just isn't feasible at this time so I am hoping to have some relatively free fun.

- Cost to build around $2,000 - $4,000.

The Goat seems to fit my needs pretty well. I understand Sandlin released the drawings with very little testing, and to serve as a copy of what he built, not necessarily plans to build your own. The drawings do seem to be complete enough to use as plans however. Does anyone have any further information on the design? Are there any glaring design flaws? I would be most interested in meeting anyone who has built a Goat, if they are located within a reasonable drive from Bakersfield, CA.

-Nate

Last edited:
Back