• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LiteFighters: P-40/P-36 and beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaleBirdsScott

Hi HBA, so some of you might have caught on that my project, ScaleBirds, has been working on a new thing. I thought I'd make a thread for it, instead of trying to shift the topic of some other thread.

We put up a news item today that is showing the latest with our new development:

The Frontal Assault

You can also read some older articles and see a little bit of the progress if so interested. Or, if you're like me, that page may not pass your work filter. So I'll link a few of our images here for those who can see the HBA at least.

In short, we're working on a single-seat LSA-qualified light fighter replica, the idea being that if WWI replicas can do well with simple, affordable single-seat replicas then there has to be at least a few tin knockers who want in on that game vs the tube and fabric boys. In general, even the tube-and-fabric guys will be right at home with our construction method. In keeping with our whole ScaleBirds concept, we're building a tube truss frame that can accept various skins to take on various shapes. We used an aluminum tube and gusset construction held with stainless pull rivets. After seeing the builds of the Airdrome replicas, it seems like a viable method for this level of homebuilding.

Build+21.jpg
DSC_0042.png

The first model is being built a P-40. And it is designed for a Rotax 912 under a nice composite cowling I've labored countless nights over. And of course it would look good with teeth and eyes and a massive spinner:

9-003.png
9-001.png

But the plot thickens! Since getting a new Rotax 912 is quite expensive, and our options for getting an affordable pre-owned model locally have not gone as we originally planned, we're looking at this Verner 5Si radial engine we just ordered to put on airplane #2(which was to be a Zero, then changed to being a Hellcat, and for now is in limbo)

IMG_0865.JPG

And now its got us thinking "well, we have an airframe going together and we have a sick engine on the way, maybe we need to make something of these two?"

Or, at least I'm thinking that, since P-40 Warhawk + Radial Engine = P-36 Hawk. And I happen to think the P-36 = Super Awesome Looking Warbird. But apparently because it was an early war fighter that was superseded by more famous planes, it's not the best 'marketing' choice to make a P-36... figures.

Even so, it may well be a thing we do before we find a viable 912 to put on. I mean I control the CAD right? So that gives me a bit of veto power. And anyway when we do get a Rotax and it's P-40 time, just would be a case of swapping engines and cowlings and the other tweaks should be minor. Now, the only other technical challenge, is all of our aero has been done assuming the pointy nose; and so for that reason it may be that we need to stick to the in-line option full-stop. But I'm still rooting for the radial. Even if the cowling took only minutes to draw (and not weeks). I mean, just look at it:

001-02.png
001-01.png

So I'd tweak a few things, this was a quick mockup. We'd add guns to the cowl and proper scoops and vents, and the fuse forward of the windscreen would get provisions for the 'machine guns' up top, and we may flare out the fuse a bit to better match the round cowl up front. But that's all minor stuff. I just wanted to get a sense of how the Hawk would look and I love it.

Now, speaking of radials:

The other thing I figure I'd share, is we are now signed on to be dealers for Verner Motor in the USA. We ordered our own engine and it will arrive next week, and I'm really excited to see this thing we've been dreaming about for years now; I've been following these motors since the ScaleBirds project started, basically. Back when all they had was a radial for helicopters and this Scarlett 7 engine was a new thing, we were hoping to see more come of the Verner line. And, well they are starting to really get moving in Europe. But it is still a new product line especially here in the USA. So while discussing our engine order, both parties agreed that if ScaleBirds wants to be using these motors in our potential fighter fleets (and we do!) then it makes a lot of sense to be able to source them directly. And, more than that, we want to help grow this emerging market of small, general aviation radial engines. Because they are cool. Because they are actually pretty darn good engines. And people agree, as the demand is obviously there; and companies like Rotec are doing a great job demonstrating to the world that these are still real things that can power an airplane. And now there are more options for a round-engine fix especially at the low-power end which is always a good thing.

We are just starting this deal, and only just in the next few days getting hands on with our own engine; and so some things are still being ironed out, and I don't want to say anything I'm not supposed to yet. But, by Oshkosh I'm hoping interest in these engines really jumps off. That all is mostly for a different discussion in probably another section of this forum, if at all. Anyway, I'm just excited for this, for real. And thanks for checking it out.

Back