• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Business side of Homebuilt Aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydr92

Hi all, wondering who on here is on the business side of the homebuilt aircraft industry?

I'm tempted to start a business based primarily around the most simple of my designs: the modular SDDR/pt103/microlight/possibly motor glider design. The design has not gone through detailed design and is all so far preliminary design, but i am thinking of employing a couple of engineers at this stage to help speed up the process and leasing an industrial unit to get started.

The problem here is obviously that the business will be a money pit for the first few years, and wont turn over a penny/cent. Having engineers on the payroll obviously could help matters doing consulting etc, but i still expect this venture to cost several hundred thousand.

Just generally looking for some advice regarding this, it's difficult to compare to other industries and the typical 'start your own business' government websites have little relevant information...i've started a business with their assistance in the past (joinery and property development) but would be looking to sell it if and when my aircraft engineering business starts turning a profit.

Should be noted that i have more business experience than i do engineering experience, and although i'm not yet a qualified engineer, i can employ one (or 2) to do the detailed design and production design work rather than waiting till i'm fully qualified to start.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Back