• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The 'daydreamers' thread...post your craziest designs and concepts here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydr92

Hi all, time for a thread to post ideas, concepts and designs you wouldnt normally share for fear of ridicule.

Doesnt have to be practical or possible, but hey, maybe someone has a good idea worth taking further. Maybe some of the non-engineers (usually the most creative) have an idea and dont know if its possible?

No shooting people down on this thread, theres no stupid ideas (well, there is, but some can be recovered into reasonable ones) One day someone said 'i'm going to build a plane and fly like the birds', thousands laughed...who's laughing now?

Anyway, a couple from me open for discussion...

1: footlaunched helicopter
- i dont know if this is possible, but here in the UK, if you can carry the weight on your back and launch from your feet...you dont need a licence, insurance, anything. Free to fly as you please. This is more of a 'that would be cool' idea rather than an aircraft with any degree of practicality.

2: very low drag electric canard record breaker. Again, absolutely no practical function besides being faster than chip yates' long EZ. Using artificial stability and FBW controls, with electrically internally blown flaps for low ish speed landing (very small wings). Has a takeoff booster drone with a battery module onboard, takes off steep and when the drone battery is depleted it glides back to the runway. I've actually done some number crunching on this and think it could work quite well, might build a scale model and work out some details. :)

3. Iron man...not my idea, but i wanna fly one of those suits!!

Back