• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lightweight but safe aircraft seats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
As always, aircraft design is full compromises, especially when it comes to performance-robbing weight vs. safety features.

When it comes to aircraft seats, I have seen everything from simple canvas slings in a vintage Cub to massive leather covered armchairs in fancy kit planes. Then again, seats are not just about looks and comfort. If the worst happens and you crash your plane, the design of the seat and whether or not it allows some give to reduce deceleration without bottoming out can make the difference between a sore bum and broken back.

The classic Tony Bingelis articles on DIY seats for homebuilt aircraft are available here -- Cockpit and Cabin Interior -- and at least one manufacturer is offering slick, lightweight (only 6 lb each!) seats here -- http://www.blackmaxbrakes.com/comfortlite-seat. Can we do better?

In thinking about a lightweight T-18 project, I had in mind a nylon canvas over aluminum tube design a bit like a custom-made lawn chair, but I do wonder about safety and was thinking I'd have to build a mock up and test it to see how it might fare in a crash.

Of course, crash safety goes far beyond just seat design, but let's stick to that topic for now. Does anyone have any designs/photos/tips to share on building lightweight but safe aircraft seats? SVSUSteve, I am hoping that you and others with specific technical knowledge of crash safety might have some thoughts on this subject.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back