• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"Constructive Criticism" and the Destruction of New Startups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerochristian

So what's the deal on this site? Its has members that love anything homebuilt. It has moderators. It has a strict anti-attack clause.

Yet everytime a new startup or claim comes along, the "constructive criticism" goes through the roof and is sometimes left unchecked. You're forced to fight, run or fall in line and say yes sir. If you run, you get mocked for "taking your ball and going home." If you stay and fight, let's face it the numbers are not on your side and you will get destroyed.

The rich turbine guy, fly nano, jet black machining, icon aircraft, raptor aircraft, synergy aircraft, and lately Risen. And those are just off the top of my head.

Why is there such anti startup sentiment on this forum and the constant need to criticize someones decisions whether it be design ideas, business plan or intentions/integrity?

The turbine guy was bringing the wrong aircraft to market. Fly nano was a joke. Jet black was gonna put his cnc out of business. Icon was too much marketing and too high a price. Raptor is doing it all backwards. Synergy is both a quack and doing it all wrong. And finally Risen is dumb for a v-tail and overpriced.

And all the negative talk is always followed with "well they asked for it", "better get a thick skin", "I just call like I see it", and "welcome to the internet" lines.

Is that really what you want to be known for? You want to be the "told yah so" guys? Or worse yet, you want to blame the "internet", like its some kind of out of control force. Each and everyone of you is a human being just like the guys you're degrading. Obviously the blue glow of the computer and a catchy screen name offers just enough anonymity for some to show their worst.

By now, everyone knows that outrageous claims and flashy shapes get press. And press gets interest, and interest opens the door to better financial possibilities.

Its weird that all everyone wants to talk about on here is wacky designs until someone tries to actually build and sell one. Then all you want is boring, uninspired, unemotional, everyday machines that can be easily proven, "made for the common working man" at $20,000, all sold by a stable, humble, old man.

And that's another thing I don't understand. Isn't selling a $20,000 toy to a guy with $2000 in his bank account just as disingenuous as selling a $400,000 toy to a guy that drives a Ferrari?

I myself don't agree with most of what these companies are doing and sometimes cringe on how they are doing it, but I for one, love the fact that they got skin in the game and are generating buzz.

You have 14,000 members and an untold number of non-member visitors (the general public) Out of those members, only 1-2% actually contribute to the conversation and drive the discussion. Don't you see it as your duty to not be the ones bashing the latest planes and companies that the general public sees in magazines, shows, news and internet? Don't aviator businessmen have enough struggles in the publics eye, only to be slammed, I mean "constructively criticized", by their homebase?

Sincerely,
Chris Christiansen

Back