• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Jet Look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starjumper7

I'm just thinking about the class of Malish's design and how many similar aircraft are there (not necessarily ducted fans). Less than 1t MTOW, more than a couple hundred HP, sleek pointy nose, etc.

There's been some discussion around this subject recently but no thread directly applies to it. I was inspired by the Archon as the best solution to achieving the jet look. My goal here was to make it look more refined, more like a jet, and more efficient.

There will be losses due to the fake ducts, but that is a GIVEN for this type, and so what I did here was to minimize it lengthwise.

There are actually two versions in the drawings here, the back view shows the back half of the plane, from the propeller back. The back view shows what it would look like from the rear with two fake ring ducts placed behind the propeller.

The top and side view show the same thing but with the duct ending in front of the propeller and a more rearset prop. The one with the fake ducts behind the prop may not suffer so badly from it because the duct surfaces contribute to the horizontal and vertical tail volume and so allow some reduction in the standard surfaces. I visualize the horizontal being a flying tail.

I prefer the looks of the one where the duct ends in front of the prop because it looks more real. The 'exhaust rings' would just be painted on, or could be plates of aluminum, for realistic effect.

This type of thing really needs to be a two seater, doesn't it? Now the challenge is to draw something like this in scketchup. The wings are styled after the F-22, but could be made like the F-18 types. It looks like the horizontal tail should be more forward.

I call this the Foxjet (faux jet) enjoy.

Attachments

• fauxjet.side.jpg
    fauxjet.side.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fauxjet.top.jpg
    fauxjet.top.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 88
  • fauxjet.back.jpg
    fauxjet.back.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.