• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

radio power vs transmission distance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubber314chicken

looking at radios, I see many different values for the output power; some hand helds have 1.5W CW (morse code?) and 5.0W PEP (max power possible?) while the Bendix-Kings have 16W minimum. Is it possible to increase that 5.0W to something bigger (amplifier inline with the antenna, or larger antenna?), and what kind of range would that give you?

speaking of which, I'm looking at this handheld: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/icom_a24.php and how good does it look? I'm liking the built in NAV radio, so I don't have to use a GPS as well.

edit- what about having a connector to an antenna mounted on the plane somewhere, would that help with the transmission distance? and what about the fact that it is like two radios in one, is the antenna on it just for the COM frequencies, or does it do both sets of frequency?

Last edited:
Back