• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sparless spar attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the options I'm considering for my outer wings is to make them without spars using a sandwich for both the upper and lower skins. I'd also like the outer wings removable for trailering but the conventional way of doing this is to use spar stubs that slid or bolt into place. This means gathering up all of the loads from the skins and transferring them to the attachment point. This adds weight and complexity.

Below is a sketch of an idea I have to avoid this and use a distributed attachment that can be sandwiched between the skins with just local reinforcement - similar to the way the wing attach fittings are bonded into the EZ center section. The little blue thing is rotated to release the wing. Quick calculations indicate that friction of aluminum to aluminum would be enough to keep the joint together without having to positively lock it together. The slots are to allow the fitting to be milled flat and then follow the curve of the airfoil.

Has anyone ever tried something similar?

Edit: change aluminum to steel on steel.

Attachments

• end.jpg
    end.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 255
  • iso.jpg
    iso.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Back