• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAA Inspection questions--xpdr etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysmiths

The time is finally approaching as N157JS approaches completion this spring or summer. Now the nitty gritty details that were once not too important have become relevant to me!

I bought a used Becker transponder with an 8130 signed off by Becker but for the original purchaser in March 2014 and have a new blind encoder on the way from Becker. The questions I have are:

1. Will the new encoder from Becker come with an 8130? I never bought one before so I have no idea.

2. Is a separate inspection of the transponder/encoder required if there are current 8130s to be legal?

4. I have a panel altimeter of course but the one sending information thru the xpdr will be new as stated above; does the panel mounted one also need to be tested/certified?

3. If a separate inspection is required on the xpdr/encoder, can this be done on a bench rather than installed in the airplane? I foresee my airplane going to an out of the way airport for initial flight testing and could more easily walk in to a shop here in the DFW area and get the certs done on the bench without a tech going 60 miles into the boonies. Any problem with doing so?

4. Pitot/static certification is for IFR and my airplane is VFR so I should be OK there, anything else regarding testing/certification I'm overlooking before having the DAR look it over?

Back