• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Round Tube Spars with leading edge sheet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohanakannan

Hello Every one

I have attached a construction picture bellow of an aircraft I found while I was browsing. The name of this aircraft is Glen Marshman’s RANS S-9 Chaos and I found that in this page EAA - EAA Experimenter - Glen Marshman's RANS S-9 Chaos. Here I see the designer has used both the round tube spar and a leading edge sheet, I have not seen this type in other designs.

The reason I assume is that, during a simple bending the structure undergoes compression on the top most fiber and tension on the bottom most fiber. If they use a sheet that runs above the round tube spar I guess the tension and the compression would be taken by the sheet and not the round tube spar. If the sheet cannot resist that stress it would fail. Can any one clarify my doubt on this and how the load is exactly transferred. I have attached the pictures bellow.

Thanks in advance for your valuable answers.

Thanks & Regards
Mohan

Attachments

• Doubt.jpg
    Doubt.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 24992_SIMPLE BENDING THEORY.JPG
    24992_SIMPLE BENDING THEORY.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 320
Back