• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airfoil selection for the TS-2 (ultralight glider)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rienk

I would appreciate some help in selecting an airfoil for our TS-2 concept, an ultralight glider, using the Tab & Slot method of wood and fabric construction.

A few years ago, I was asked to do a presentation at the ESA conference. I presented the TS-1 POC, as well as the Solo LSA that evolved from it. There was interest in developing a low-cost, quick build glider, so with the encouragement and offered help of several engineers there (which never really materialized). I began to draw up the initial concept.

Dan Armstrong did offer some advice, including starting with the e604 airfoil.
However, another aero engineer (for NASA) thought that it was a poor choice for the type of glider we were envisioning. Unfortunately, he quickly faded from the scene, and so I let the project collect cobwebs.

Since my son and I don't yet have an ultralight to build for him, and since I'm working on teaching him CAD, I thought it would be a fun and appropriate project to redesign the TS-2 (see attached). Even though it may not leave the drawing board, there is a chance that we might build it, and if so, I'd rather start off with designing something that might actually be usable. Even if the fuselage has to go through several iterations, hopefully the wing can continue to be used.

The concept is for a very light glider; hopefully 103 ultralight legal, but that is not critical. It is meant to roll launchable with very low wing loading (similar to an "airchair" but a little higher).

Anyway, I'd appreciate some input from engineers and designers with glider experience/expertise.
Keep the airfoil we're using?
Change to something more appropriate?

And of course, if anyone would like to help in anyway, please let me know - PM me and I can email the actual CAD files.

Attachments

• TS-2 Three View (01-19-10).pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Back