• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help a newbie get his head around STOL engine options...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timstertimster

Hi everyone. Been lurking a while...

Peat this point I decided I will attempt to build a STOL from a commercial kit. Something like a Highlander or Zenith or similar. I'm most interested in short takeoffs and landings... The ability to land on a postage stamp is terribly exciting to me. As long as I can take off from said postage stamp, that is :)

Now I'm trying to understand engines better. I only have bookworm knowledge so far, and would like to get better at evaluating engine options.

What kinds of tried and true options are out there? I understand it's not enough info so I will attempt to narrow it down, even through I'm not 100% sure why.

Air cooled
direct drive
100 hp or thereabouts
lightweight
4 stroke
TBO should not be too low
Straightforward to understand engineering. I don't want to have to go to a mechanic for everything
cheap

Rotax is all well and good, but ouch my wallet...
Jabiru is apparently rather heavy
ULpower also interesting, but a bit pricey for me.
Honda looks interesting but also not super heap, or is it? The auto engines are.
Lots of old postings on this forum with links to defunct websites...

I would be thrilled to hear some people here point to solid engines that can be used for the purpose without breaking the bank. And if it has to be a rotax 582 I guess I'll have to get comfortable dealing with gearboxes I suppose...

Thanksmfor any pointers.

Back