• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Staple/stapler for builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek1945

Staplers in wood construction why remove?
It seems the 'common as mud' T50 stapler is the builder's choice to secure wood assemblies while adhesives set. What is puzzling is then removing them afterwards considering the minimal weight distribution and labor involved. Is weight the only reason to remove staples or something else? After all doesn't the staple provide additional fastener strength and it's already set in the wood/epoxy?
I recall wasn't small cement coated brads common place for this task? I'm sure glad not to deal with those small brads, tack hammers, and brad setters since removal is PITA.
Experience has proven the value of pneumatic staplers over the hand operated ones, especially in setting proper staple depth and avoiding wood splitting. Just talk to my wife on recovering chair seats.
It would seem the majority of home builders would likely own an air compressor and want to maximize its use. After all squeezing a hand stapler is repetitive and many models fail to consider that in design. Pneumatic Surebonder T50 staplers are priced at Sears (no affiliation) for $25; 9600 Narrow Crown Stapler
If wood is selected for my build, I intend on using my Grex 2116AD stapler which uses 22ga. 3/16 crown staples, 1/2 crown of T50 and leave them set permanently. See; Grex Power Tools - 2116AD - 22 Ga. 3/16" Crown Stapler
You'll also notice it does light gauge metal piercing which is difficult with hand models. You may find this interesting these staplers are used in model boats to hold 1/8"x1/2" hull planking in place and are about the only way to fasten at bow/stern sharp bends without splitting while only using 2 hands. Bends and complex (steamed) curved fuselages could be built without trying to get clamps on blind or awkward places while accurately setting the staple crown flush with the surface! Then fiberglased/filled for strength and seamless appearance.

Back