• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Daiichi Kosho DK 472 engine or not??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmoser

I believe I have a Daiichi Kosho 472 Engine ... but I'm not sure... can anyone confirm?
This was acquired with a lot of other parts from a friend of a friend who became too old & sick to build & fly aircraft, or even communicate with others very well... so I can't find out anything about this engine from him.
I measured a bore of 58mm and a stroke of 47mm.. which works out to 250cc on a twin cylinder.

According to this description:
Daiichi Kosho Whisper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and studying a couple of youtube videos, it appears to fit with a DK472 engine.
Two cylinder opposed (boxer twin) 2-stroke engine with 250cc displacement.
It's very light at only 15.2 pounds w/o exhaust, and supposedly puts out 22 hp... an impressive power-to-weight ratio, if true.
But I can't find any detailed info. on this little gem... no manuals, specs, pilot reports, testimonials.. nuthin' !

If it is the DK 472, it was used on the Beat and Whisper PPGs (not Whisper GT), but is now out of production.. DK totally withdrew from the paramotor business several years ago.
Supposedly, the DK472 has a good reputation for reliability... relative to other 2-strokes.
I was hoping to use it to motorize a SWIFT ultralight glider with direct drive or with prop speed reduction drive.
But without knowing more about it, where to get parts, etc.. I'm reluctant to mess with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20130105_190637.jpg
    IMG_20130105_190637.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 899
Back