• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experiences in international flying in an Experimental airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmatic

I've been away from aviation for a number of years due to life's ups and downs but getting back in the left seat very soon. I've always loved to travel, and I've been fantasizing about buying a high performance kitplane (looking at Velocity, Glasair, Lancair, and others) and taking it across the Atlantic via Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and Scotland, with the overall goal of spending some time flying around Europe and possibly further, even to Asia and/or Australia. Would be a grand adventure!

I've been looking around and found a ton of good info on getting across the ocean, and some on flying in Europe, but almost nothing about whether having an experimental aircraft is going to pose challenges in other countries. I hear some countries are fine with it, others are not, but no details.

Anyone have any experience flying around outside of the US in an Experimental airplane? I'd love to hear some stories.

I have a US PPL.

Cheers,
Nicholas

PS Here is the limit of what I've found on this topic: International Flying Overview
Another very detailed resource I found about flying to Europe from the US: General Aviation Flying to Europe

Back