• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Questions about owning a grass strip airport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf8199

There is a man near me who has his house/land up for sale. The land has a 2500' grass strip on it and it is listed as an airport. While the idea is very appealing to me, I'd like to know if anyone can enlighten me as to the details of owning an airport (or if you can tell me where to find such answers).

Does it have to remain as an airport once registered as such, or can it be used for something else if desired? (I'm thinking of zoning restrictions and things like the farmland preservation act)

are there any additional tax liabilities?

what type of maintenance would be required?

There is a home on the property, so I assume it is zoned residential...is this a bad assumption?

if it is zoned residential, would I be able to rent hangars to people without being considered a business?

what concerns should I have that I haven't mentioned, and are there any specific questions I should ask?

Edit: Moderators feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Back