• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First timer thinking about a RW16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomjuice

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about diving into a project for my senior year in college. I have experience flying standard aircraft and am almost ready to take my PPL checkride.
This September I go back to college. I'm a Mechanical Engineering major in upstate NY. I'd like to work on my first homebuilt airplane. I'd like it to be an ultralight with a nice open cockpit. If it's a bit overweight, I can certify it, no problem.
Really it's more on budget. I'll have maybe $4k total for my budget.
I really like the looks of the Ragwing Aerial rw16, but can't find many that have built it. Or much support for the design.
I'd like my ultralight to be relatively simple. I'd like to be able to finish it in 6 months with a partner.
I'm all for wood, and I have some composite experience. Aluminum is good too, but it seems to be the more expensive route. Wood and fabric planes are always a classic.

Any advice on the RW16, or any other cheap wood and fabric ultralights? I've checked out the affordaplane, but it's all mixed reviews. I read there are more crashed than flying?
Thanks guys!

Back