• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to create a simple or complex wing in Google SketchUp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
This morning I received a request as to how did I create my Double Delta wing for the EagleRay. Unfortunately, I can't find it now so I am posting this "How To" on RecreationalFlying in Australia and HBA in the US. Hope it helps somebody.

This short tutorial shows how to create a wing, of any complexity, using the basic tools in Google SketchUp (SU)

Step One:
Open a new page and 'Save As' what ever. Under 'Windows', set the 'Units' in which you wish to work eg. inches, mm's, feet etc. Under 'Camera', make sure you're working in the 'Parallel Projection' option, select 'Right' or 'Left' view, and switch off the axes if you don't need them showing. For what it's worth, you don't need Section Planes, Section Cuts, Guides, Shadows or Fog either so you mihgt as well turn them off as well. Shadows are all very well on your final model but only slow your pc down during the creation phase.
In the 'View' window ensure you have 'Edges' selected under the Edge Style tab and 'Shaded with Textures' selected under the Face Tab. (For this tutorial, I have also selected 'Hidden Geometry' to show you what happens as you perform Scaling Operations. OK, now we're ready to begin.

Step Two:
Drag a Rectangle big enough to cover your wing profile (Guess work usually) the size of the selected area is shown in the lower right hand corner of the work screen.
'Zoom Extents' to fill the screen and draw a mid height line across the rectangle. Now, using circles, arcs and lines, draw the desired profile making sure that there are no gaps between each segment. You should end up with something like this after you have cleaned up all the unwanted bits. My example is more complex than most 'normal' wings but I want you to see how easy it is, even if it looks complex.

wing-profile-jpg.18212

Step Three:
Use the rotate tool so that your image in seen in an isometric view. Then, use the 'Push/Pull' tool to extrude the shape 'out of the paper' so to speak. I have erased the rest of the paper as it is not needed.
patrially-extruded-jpg.18213

All those lines you see are the 'Hidden Geometry' I mentioned earlier. Drag it out as far as you want it to go. For a simple high wing design, this could be the whole span IF it is to remain at a constant cord (length front to back)) I'm now going on to produce a double Delta design.

Use the Select tool (arrow) and click in the end face to high-light it. Then select Scale under the Tools tab or simply press the S key on your keyboard. A box will appear that encloses that selected face and on it will be 4 tabs, top, bottom, left and right. Unfortunately, these don't show in my exported 2D images. To shape the wing, all that is required is for the end face to be pushed or pulled into the shape you require. For instance, by clicking and holding the left hand tab, by sliding it back towards the trailing edge on the right, I add sweep and by dragging the top tab down, I add taper. If you wish, you can also add positive or negative sweep to the Trailing edge, and an upward taper to the underside of the wing.
le-swept-jpg.18214

To take it a step further, reselect the end plane and extrude it again.
outer-panel-extruded-jpg.18215

Now scale it as before to your liking. Getting the taper to be constant over both extrusions is a matter of practice. Note the forward sweep of the TE. Just hold the end tab you want to move. EXPERIMENT. It's fun.
outer-panel-swepted-and-tapered-jpg.18216

Step Four:
Finally, we have to clean it up. First turn off ' Hidden Geometry' if you have it selected, then under the 'Windows' tab, select 'Soften Edges'. A small wondow will open and you can smooth out edges and planes to what ever level you want. You will probably have to 'Select All' under the 'Edit' tab before this operation works. Whilst they are all selected, try 'Reversing Faces' if they are white. You can paint them if you like but I tend to leave that until later.
finished-item-jpg.18217

Front View, note taper change due to rushed work. Also the untapered bottom face. It all depends on your design.
front-view-jpg.18218

Right Hand view.
right-view-jpg.18219

All things are possible.......WITH PRACTICE. Most important of all, HAVE FUN.
Doug Mansfield, aka Deskpilot.

Back