• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What About Substituting Titanium Tubing for Aluminum Tubing in Fuselage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southron

This is some of those "What If" questions from a beginner (I am considering building an airplane cause I already know how to fly them)

What If I were to build a "Scratch Built" airplane that utilized a welded aluminum truss structure for the fuselage.

What if I were to substitute titanium tubing (of the same size) for the aluminum tubing the plans called for?

[1] I assume that the titanium fuselage would weigh a little less than the same fuselage constructed of aluminum tubing, is that right?

[2] Can the titanium tubing be welded like aluminum tubing? If not welded, could stainless steel gussets and rivets join the members of the titanium truss work together? How strong would the stainless steel gussets be compared to welded joints?

[3] Assuming that the aluminum tubing was replaced by titanium tubing of the same size-how much stronger would be the titanium fuselage?

[4] What is the price difference between aluminum and titanium tubing of the same size?

[5] Does anyone in the EAA ever use titanium tubing for aircraft construction?

Your Answers will be Appreciated!

THANK YOU!

Back