• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW / Chevy 8 cylinder open source project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk_D

Hi all, I was off topic on twin VW thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/volkswagen/7350-8-cylinder-vw.html and felt this idea may deserve a thread of it's own.
The idea is for a Chevy crank/cam/rods/lifters packaged in a VW type 1 or 4 pattern engine case.
Using aftermarket VW barrels, a hefty boxer motor could be achieved - anywhere from 5 to 7 litre capacity.
With a 105mm stroke (roughly) that matches the largest stroke stuffed into a type 1 case.
The bore spacing is spot on (111.8 to 112).

I could not do this on my own, i was thinking it could be a community based project structured as such;
Contributions of scanned and hand measurements published online and openly discussed.
2d cad personal mailed amongst key drafting contributors.
Finally, all finalized 3d cad could be entrusted to the website https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com and sold to non contributors for a small donation fee.

Maybe a team of 3 or 4 cad draftspersons would get it done.
It would be cool!

Back