• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MIG vs TIG re: Kitfox use MIG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I dont' know, this has probably been answered somewhere, but I haven't found it.

I am going to build a modified Raven (Kitfox clone) from plans.

So the census seems to be TIG or gas and not to use MIG. So why would Kitfox, who have so many successful flying aircraft out there use MIG and minimal normalizing?

I have noticed that Kitfox seem to be using MIG welding. In a few video clips you can see what appears to be MIG welding. I also came across something which I can't find now, stating they use MIG and normalized only the critical areas. Pictures I've seen showing close ups of the joints under the paint appear to have inconsitant beads like MIG might have.
Has anyone been to the factory and seen the welding process who can confirm this and tell me the process they use?

I am considering purchasing a TIG welder, but if the MIG will do the job, the expense saved of buying a TIG could go into the project. I have a MIG and considering Kitfox seem to use MIG couldn't I use MIG and take the airframe to a fabrication shop to have the joints normalized later? How much would a shop charge to normalize the frame. Would the cost off set be worth it or should I just go ahead with getting the TIG?

Back