• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Advice and considerations for a float plane on a tropical island

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilopa

Greetings,
we are looking at options for a bush type plane with floats that we would use in Fiji. Our main criteria are: 4-6 place with high useful load, STOL, something that can withstand the rust/corrosion factor, and price. The planes in consideration are:

Bearhawk
Tundra
Super Cyclone
Murphy Moose
Bushcaddy
Zenith 801
C- 185
C-182

We were kind of sold on the Bearhawk, great performance characteristics (STOL, good cruise), serious useful load, nice price. But we read that the salt water high heat/humidity and sun would wreak havoc on the tube and fabric design. It seems we should probably only look at all aluminum designs? The Tundra also uses steel for its cabin structure. Not sure about the Moose but it is a little more expensive than we wanted to go. And the 801 does not quite have the useful load and space that we would like, but maybe it would do.

I keep coming back to the Cessna 182, it is all aluminum, easy to fit floats, and cheap. The 185's seem to be double the price though for more plane I know. Which brings me to the Super Cyclone, it is a kit build replica of the 185 but with a bigger wing (better STOL) and great performance and useful load. But I cannot find a price, I have an email into the company and he said he will get back to me.

Anyone have advice/opinions on the best plane for our needs?
Thanks.

Back