• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Climb Rates When Hot and High

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly2kads

Supporting Member
It has been unseasonably hot here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area lately (103 F yesterday), so my sun-addled brain has been contemplating destiny altitude and it's impact on performance. (My sun-addled brain has also been contemplating cold beer, which may or may not improve my thinking.) We are not exactly high here, with elevations running 550-650 ft MSL, so density altitudes are only topping out around 4000 ft.

What I would like to know, from people who are flying in places where density altitude is more of a factor, is what climb rates or gradients do you find minimally acceptable? In reading the LSA spec (ASTM F 2245), it calls for minimums of 312 fpm at Vy and a gradient of 1/12 at Vx. Will that work where you are? I know this will be somewhat dependent upon the surrounding terrain, such as whether or not you are going to have to climb over a mountain pass after departure. So let's hear it…what are YOUR minimums when things get hot, and what is driving your choice?

Back