• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ford/Mazda Duratec 23/25 Semi Direct Drive, is this feasible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan_Schmidt

Greetings,

I've been reading your responses and posts and find this site wonderfully useful for dreaming. I have, sadly, a dream that keeps sticking around. I'm working on a Bucker Jungmann replica. I've got plans from multiple vendors, and have been performing CAD, structural analysis and modeling of the aircraft. It seems buildable. I need a reliable engine of about 90HP. When I look at the power curves of the Duratec 23 in my Ford Ranger, it seems to line up, if I accept the weight penalties. So here's the topic for discussion. If I use a prop designed for a Jabiru that spins as fast as 3300 RPM, and I use the engine directly, and derate it down to 100 HP, I'm well within the Power/RPM curves. If I attack the propellar to the draveshaft, but support the shaft with a axial load bearing, I don't think I'm applying too much beyond what the engine is designed to do. The engine is heavyish, but still within the weight the aircraft can weight and balance for. I'll admit I'm attracted to the engine's cost. $3,500 NIB isn't too bad. I'm also attracted to the cowling, the plane will look like an HE51 when complete. I also look forward to the testing, I'm an operational test and evaluation engineer, afterall. I've anticipated the machining that needs to be done, and I'm fairly good on my old Vert Mill. So what did I miss, it can't be that easy.

Back