• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tandem/Box-Wing for foot-launch glider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmflying14

So just for starters, this is much more of a thought experiment than anything. The idea is for a light weight, potentially foot-launched sailplane. The goal is to exceed the performance of those such as the Aeriane Swift, while maintaining the ability to fold, and be trucked with any other sailplane. Now, the idea that I simply can not shake is a similar aircraft to the Ligeti Stratos. I am well aware of the stability issues, and would like to have a discussion about the pitfalls, where it went wrong, and if/how you can fix stability issues with a short coupled joined tandem wing. I have tried contacting Aircar, as it is my understanding he has quite the extensive background with these aircraft.Last but not least, I am aware that different isn't better, and their are probably easier ways to go about this. As mentioned, this is a thought experiment to try to tame my own mind. (Just for everyone's information, this is not inspired at all by the synergy project, as it is a dual lifting surface idea. If anything it is a product of the Aeriane Swift and Easy riser hang glider!)Just for scale, it is roughly 28ft wingtip to wingtip. This is nothing more than a quick concept drafted up in XFLR5. There has been no work at all, other than turning the imagination into a rough picture.4 - Copy.jpg3 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back