• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Prevention of tip stall on a swept flying wing using partial drooped leading edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Newton

Hi all,

I have recently been looking into the design of swept flying wings and have built an R/C testbed model to test out my ideas. It flies well enough but is prone to tip stalling. I am retrofitting it with a NASA style drooped leading edge over the outer 1/3rd of the semispan in a bid to eliminate the tip stall without increading the overall drag too much. Since the NASA NTRS server is still down I am struggling to find any reports on Leading Edge droop. My question is how the Leading edge droop will affect the lift distribution and drag at various lift co-efficients and do I need to increase the width of the winglets any when adding the droop? My other question is which is better from a performance point of view, outboard slots as per the Northrop XB35 or outboard leading edge droop?

John

Back