• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single-float amphibian inspiration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I have always liked the Loening Amphibian and Grumman Duck amphibious biplanes with their integrated float/fuselage design as well as single-float seaplanes like the Mitsubishi "Pete" and the Vought Kingfisher.

With those in mind, I have been kicking around some ideas for a light, two-seat amphibious homebuilt in the European microlight category (495 kg or 1091 lbs gross weight) and I am very attracted to the single-float layout, which seems to offer better rough-water performance and perhaps a little less drag. Admittedly, the wing floats make it harder to come alongside a dock, but that is true with hull-type flying boats as well.

I have in mind a relatively straightforward design like a cartoon simplification of a Vought Kingfisher but with Loening-type repositionable conventional landing gear and a combined tailwheel/water rudder. I would probably not go with the Loening-style combined float/fuselage but would likely plan a fuel tank and luggage lockers in the float. This would not be a convertible landplane/floatplane, but an integrated amphibious design for operation as a light bushplane from land or water.

Does anyone know of any examples of light, single-float amphibians or seaplanes that might help inform this concept? Any particular pros and cons come to mind with this configuration?

Cheers,

Matthew

Back