• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FP 303 Throttle Position Modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrygmoody

Somewhat on topic :) I'm modifying the throttle in my FP 303 because the existing setup was too high and too close for me to reach comfortably (see the little white knob in my avatar). I'm going to add a block of wood for a mount near my left knee.

1st question: What's the best way to do this? Can I cut the block from a typical pine 2x4 since it's not load-bearing? How can I attach the block to an already-varnished area? I'm planning on bolting it through the fuselage side, then varnishing over it with the Minwax spar urethane. Would that provide a solid enough mount for a push-pull throttle?

2nd question: I've looked at Aircraft Spruce, and a few hundred other places, but I haven't found a suitable throttle control for this confined space; can anyone suggest a source for a small, single-cable, push-pull (or lever-type) throttle control? Or a diagram of a home-grown setup? I've considered using a friction-type derailleur lever from a mountain bike, which seems like it would fill the bill.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Back