+ Reply to Thread

Thread: druine or jodel

druine or jodel

hi guys does anyone can compare these two airplanes druine turbulent and jodel d9 or falconar light version ,they seems to be similar in weight ,performance and size but i could not find any pilot report or anyone who flown either one thanks

Re: druine or jodel

Quote Originally Posted by jany77 View Post
    hi guys does anyone can compare these two airplanes druine turbulent and jodel d9 or falconar light version ,they seems to be similar in weight ,performance and size but i could not find any pilot report or anyone who flown either one thanks
    I suggest trying the Yahoo 'Emerauders' group - wooden French planes are their specialty and they seem like an active group. -Dan

jodel.com has good info about that group of aircarft. Jodels are more popular then Druine and I would bet you would get more help from fellow builders and owners.

Druine is a little simpler to build, the Jodel has a one piece wing.
    There used to be a formation team in Britain with Druine Turbulents putting on a nice little show; quite impressive considering we're talking about airplanes powered by 1600 cc engines. I haven't flown either but have seen examples of both during construction; I am leaning towards the Druine.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Hi there,

I hope this is not too late, otherwise my sincere apologies for necroposting.

Anyhow, in one of the latest german aviation magazines "FliegerMagazin", I suppose, I have read an article about the D9. It is described the D9 to be flown like a practice glider (he mentioned the "L-Spatz").

A couple of years ago, a fellow pilot landed with a Stark Turbulent at our Homebase in Rheine/Germany. He described her as "a little *****", when it comes to crosswind landings. Comeing from a man who has been in classic biplane cockpits for quite an ammount of time, I'd not push this too far away.

But then again, bithcy crosswind behaviour seems to be symptomatic for this kind of aircraft.

I certainly can search old german magazines for pilot reports on these aircraft, if this would be of any help.

On April 10, there will be a Jodel Fly In in the vicinity of London. I hope to make it, so that I could look for a contact to the D9 owners/pilots there. That'll be something I'd planned anyway, as I have an old D9 project waiting to be repaired soon. Oh... I could take some shots of the D9 giblets, if of any interest.

Many happy landings,
    Last edited by malte; February 9th, 2011 at 02:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

I would love to see a Jodel flyin. I've always liked the designs except for the one piece wing. Although I've never been lucky enough to see plans, I'm sure that someone, somewhere could modify the spar into a 2 piece.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rheuschele View Post
    I would love to see a Jodel flyin. I've always liked the designs except for the one piece wing. Although I've never been lucky enough to see plans, I'm sure that someone, somewhere could modify the spar into a 2 piece.
    Ron
    You could modify it alright, but it would add a huge amount of weight and complexity. The Jodel's spar is the airplane's main structure to which everything else is bolted, and there is only one spar in the wing (aside from the aileron false spars). That spar takes all the lift, drag, and torsion loads. It's a box section about a foot fore-and-aft and six or seven inches deep. Any addition of fittings to enable separate wing removal has to deal with all those loads, and those fittings must be bolted through substantial wood reinforcements. As it is, the tension and compression members aren't too big because they don't need to be, but that would all change once the spar gets modified.

The Jodel is an efficient design. Falconar modified it in many ways to get the F-series, but it gained weight. My own D-11 is about 80 pounds heavier than it should be, much of that in the leaf-spring gear that comes from the F-11. The oleos are lighter but a bit more work to build. Weight is the homebuilder's enemy; one must never forget that. So many airplanes have turned out to be dogs because this or that was added or modified or "improved" and they're a big disappointment to the builder.

druine or jodel-d11open200.jpg

From http://www.jodel.com/index.asp?p=d11&themodels

Go to the site for a bigger version.

Dan

Not to confuse the issue, but the HN-434 is nice,if you aren't anti-canopy.

Both designs are well-proven and have their fans. Both are known to be a little fiddly to build in their own ways, but nothing insurmountable.

Turbulent plans are available in English from Britain's LAA (ex-PFA) and also in a slightly modified (strengthened) version from a gentleman in Australia (sorry, don't have a link for that). The LAA also has plans for the Luton Minor (like an all-wood Heath Parasol) and the Currie Wot (like single-seat DH Moth).

Jodel D9 Bébé plans are still available from the designers' family. They are in French, but I am sure you could find translation notes kicking around in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

For something similar but with quick-folding, parasol wings, visit my Clutton FRED site below.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED

« Voici ce que j'ai fait...vous pouvez en faire autant! »
    "This is what I have done...you can do the same!"
    --Henri Mignet (1893-1965)

+ Reply to Thread