• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Telling them I'm building a Dog House

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin63

I was at Lowes today going through the white pine and after about thirty minutes I actually found a piece that had about a 2" wide strip of usable wood on one edge of a 12" x 10' board.
Some other customer finally got curious and asked me what I was building and I was dumb and friendly enough to tell him that I'm building an airplane.
I won't do that again. I will never volunteer that information to a stranger ever again.
There are few people who understand.
Well, the guy says: " You mean a real airplane that you can get it in and fly?"
"Yes" I said.
The guy raises his eyebrows roll his eyes and his attitude changes from friendly to judgmental and critical.
"You ever build an airplane before?"
"No, Its not something a guy builds every day."
" ...you mean you are buying that whole board just to use 2 inches of it?"
"Yes, but the rest will be used for other things around the house."
" ....how high do you go in this airplane? You have a lot of guts going up in something like that..."
Guy shakes his head and gives me the scolding-teacher look.
Well, I am preparing a lie for my next encounter: I'm building a dog-house.
Oh, and I'll have to come up with a breed of dog too, since I don't have one.
I hope nobody here beats me up for this post, I like to think of this forum as an escape from that kind of criticism.

6a00d8341ccc5153ef00e54f3eaa4e8834-800wi.jpg

Back