• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do you keep spar gussets from sheering off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I built a tower out of wood, with 4 compression caps and truss webbing between them, held together by wood glue. Small gussets.

The caps were small, and I put lots of weight on it until it failed.

Then I examined the wreckage to see why it failed.

Most of the diagonal web members had sheared right off, on both ends, and were laying away from the wreckage. They were not broken. Just cleanly sheared off on both ends.

I think what happened is the compression caps compressed under the weight, but the bond between the web and the caps was too rigid to compress with it, and sheared off instead. I used Elmer's wood glue.

Do you guys think I should have used a different type of glue, or would something else have kept the bond?

I don't think they were pulled off, since they came off on both ends. I think the glue was too rigid to stick to the compressing caps. But I'm not sure.

Back