+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Barracuda

Re: Barracuda

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffon View Post
    Gentlemen allow me to suggest the Osprey GP-4 in place of the Barracuda. It is also a high performance 2 place wooden airplane with a better 240 mph cruise speed on a smaller 200 hp engine.
    I think "Osprey" refers to the Pereira's amphib (different than his GP-4). I'm not sure if the GP-4 was ever given a name.

Another plane very similar to the GP-4 is the Falco F-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffon View Post
    Gentlemen allow me to suggest the Osprey GP-4 in place of the Barracuda. It is also a high performance 2 place wooden airplane with a better 240 mph cruise speed on a smaller 200 hp engine.
    Not to take anything away from George's designs, they are excellent; but, 240 MPH cruise on 200 HP sounds a bit optimistic especially if the aircraft is roomy enough to be what copterdoc is looking for. That's way faster than a Falco which is a comparable type and even faster than a Lancair would realistically be on that horsepower. And having flown a Falco, I don't think it will be much better of a fit for a large pilot than the others we've discussed. And the Falco, with its beautiful curved section fuselage, would be exceedingly hard to modify. I don't know about the construction of the GP-4.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I think "Osprey" refers to the Pereira's amphib (different than his GP-4). I'm not sure if the GP-4 was ever given a name.

Another plane very similar to the GP-4 is the Falco F-8.
    I meant Osprey GP-4 as in brand name, such as VW Beetle or BMW M3.

The GP-4 is in fact inspired by the Falco and I think it's a very hard call to pick the better one of the two. The GP4 is slightly faster though.

Quote Originally Posted by djschwartz View Post
    Not to take anything away from George's designs, they are excellent; but, 240 MPH cruise on 200 HP sounds a bit optimistic especially if the aircraft is roomy enough to be what copterdoc is looking for. That's way faster than a Falco which is a comparable type and even faster than a Lancair would realistically be on that horsepower. And having flown a Falco, I don't think it will be much better of a fit for a large pilot than the others we've discussed. And the Falco, with its beautiful curved section fuselage, would be exceedingly hard to modify. I don't know about the construction of the GP-4.
    The cruise speed is validated by several people who built their own and matched the 240 mph number.

The Lancair 320 (according to wikipedia) gets a 240 mph cruise from a 160 hp engine. It's much lighter though.

The GP-4's constructon should be pretty similar to the Falco's.

The original factory cruise number for the 320 was 225 MPH, and that was for the early small-tailed version that had some handling issues. I've never seen any manufacturer understate their cruise speed. I suspect that, as usual, Wikipedia isn't quite right and the number there is either for the 360 or is just a number that some Lancair enthusiast put out.

Agin guys thanks for all the feed back. I think I will stay with the Barracuda if i can modify the cockpit. I do like the GP-4 but I will be learning to fly in this plane and I think that the 62 mph stall speed will be a little more forgiving than the GP-4's 70. Not alot of difference but some. I have flown with other pilots at last job so I am not new to flying and think I will be ok with the Barracuda. I do think I will build me a mock-up of a 40" cockpit out of cardboard and see how I fit in it.
    Check yr 6

copterdocc;

I just completed a Barracuda project. I purchased the project from another builder who spent 12 years on it. It took me another 3 years to complete of which I replaced some of his work. It flew for the first time on the 4th of Feb 2010. If you would like more info let me know. Oh and by the way, there is an active builders network. They are on Yahoo groups. There are currently 16 flying Barracudas in the U.S., not much but there are people who are still building them and flying them.

Barracuda info

Barracuda info
    Hi!

Does anybody have any info on, or experience with the Barracuda? Does anyone know where I can get plans? Has anyone here built one? How much does it cost to build? How much time to completion? How does it handle? How is it to maintain? Do you know if there is a forum for Barracuda builders and owners?

Also, does this forum have an archive search function?

Thanks!
    Jason

Re: Barracuda info

Quote Originally Posted by whiteknight View Post
    Also, does this forum have an archive search function?
    It certainly does.

In the meantime start here: Barracuda

Now that's funny

There is a yahoo group got the Baracudda

Barra-builders : The group of the BARRACUDA, all-wood. 2 seat homebuilt airplane builders and enthusiasts.

For tall guys building from scratch I would recommend that the firewall be move foward by 2 to 3 inches as the aircraft has a 21'' engine mount. The orginal length was for a GO-435 but with a lighweight 0-540 it comes out at 29'' so losing a few inches is not a loss

Gary

I'd tend to agree, George Periara (sp) is a gifted designer and the GP-4 is a lot simpler to construct. We had a Barricuda (partially built) stored in our hangar and it seemed to be a heavy structure and somewhat difficult to build. Plus the GP-4 is beautiful and goes like hell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12