+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J-1B

I live on a 44 foot sailboat near West Palm Beach Florida( I have a shop on land where I work from)

J-1B

Is or has anyone out there built a Janowski J-1B Don Quioxote? I have had the plans for one since the 80's and am finally thinking about building one. I did hear one small comment on some sort of turbulance/ buffeting problem from the propwash over the short tail. Has anyone heard anything on this?
    I ordered the model plans from RCM and will build it for some imputs. Some flight caracteristics do not scale up that well though. I am considering a Kawasaki 440 for power. Any input would be helpfull. All the sites that list the J-1B's have dried up and gone away. Everything seems to be a dead end.

Re: J-1B

You will find some info about J-1 in this thread http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...s-pushers.html , there is also a yahoo group for J-1 builders, but if you like this type of planes maybe you might want to check out Piuma aircraft, you will find their webpage address in the link. But for more info about J-1, I would suggest a yahoo group, I don't remember their address but Etterre, knows it. Personally I would say, that there are more questions about J-1 than answers, plans are far away from being perfect.

Seb
    Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

"Time, training, training, training and more training is the key to any success."
    Francis "Gabby" Gabreski

I never knew the J-1B existed. I kind of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac790 View Post
    You will find some info about J-1 in this thread http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...s-pushers.html , there is also a yahoo group for J-1 builders, but if you like this type of planes maybe you might want to check out Piuma aircraft, you will find their webpage address in the link. But for more info about J-1, I would suggest a yahoo group, I don't remember their address but Etterre, knows it.
    The Yahoo! group can be found here:
    Janowski : Janowski Aircraft support forum
    It's about the best support you'll find for the J1-B... and that's pretty faint praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac790 View Post
    Personally I would say, that there are more questions about J-1 than answers, plans are far away from being perfect.

Seb
    I would say that's a fair assessment - especially from the guy that's building a CAD model of it.

The problem with the J1-B is that it's essentially an orphan design. While there are people who bought legitimate paper plans in the past, it's impossible to buy a new set that is 100% legal. You can get copies on paper and you can find CDs on Ebay (or elsewhere) that contain a pdf scan of the plans that's mostly legible.

The Piuma definitely looks like a better option if it does what you want.
    Roy Etter

Quote Originally Posted by roverjohn View Post
    I wonder if the designer is getting any of that.
    Probably not...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I see he also offers Cri Cri plans on CD for $7.
    Probably the guy offering these CDs figures that he won't get sued since (in both cases) the designer lives in Europe and hasn't been very aggressive about protecting his rights in the US. It's a shame, really. Both designs deserve better than this.
    Roy Etter

+ Reply to Thread