• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Guitar Binding Tape For Clamping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrochey

Yesterday when I glued up the trailing edge of the rudder assy I found is was an area impossible to clamp easily so I used a tape that guitar builders use for clamping binding on the side of a guitar. The tape is pretty amazing and when I teach someone to build an acoustic guitar they can't believe how well this works so I thought I'd pass it along. I am gluing wood up all day every day and one thing I've learned for sure is to not clamp with too much pressure and force the glue out of a joint. The binding tape works great in those hard to get to areas especially if you're gluing outside a jig. For reference I am also posting a photo of a guitar I am finishing up that the customer wanted flamed maple binding. This wood is very hard and tough to bend on the iron even at 400 degrees... so there is almost always some spring back that needs clamped tight to the body... use this tape, stretch it hard over the edge. Done... questions? Hope this helps... Note: Of course there will be gussets added to all this joints as well.
IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

Back